Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

An aerial shot that shows different land uses.


No matter if you grow crops or raise livestock, or you manage timber or want to improve your private land, NRCS has options for you that are good for your land and its natural resources. 

NRCS offers technical and financial assistance to help integrate conservation practices into croplands, grazing lands, forests, urban farms and other land uses. The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) offer 170-plus conservation activities that help a wide variety of operations. To learn more about these activities, watch our Conservation at Work video series.

Meanwhile, NRCS can also help producers protect sensitive landscapes and prime farmlands through easements, which are funded through the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP). 

Examples of Easements

  • More on agricultural land easements.
  • More on wetland reserve easements.
Landscape that shows different land uses.

National Resources Inventory

A statistical survey of land use and natural resource conditions and trends on U.S. non-Federal lands.

How to Get Assistance

Do you farm or ranch and want to make improvements to the land that you own or lease?

Natural Resources Conservation Service offers technical and financial assistance to help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners.

how to get started

To get started with NRCS, we recommend you stop by your local NRCS field office. We’ll discuss your vision for your land.

NRCS provides landowners with free technical assistance, or advice, for their land. Common technical assistance includes: resource assessment, practice design and resource monitoring. Your conservation planner will help you determine if financial assistance is right for you.

We’ll walk you through the application process. To get started on applying for financial assistance, we’ll work with you:

  • To fill out an AD 1026, which ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed. It also ensures that identified wetland areas are protected.
  • To meet other eligibility certifications.

Once complete, we’ll work with you on the application, or CPA 1200.

Applications for most programs are accepted on a continuous basis, but they’re considered for funding in different ranking periods. Be sure to ask your local NRCS district conservationist about the deadline for the ranking period to ensure you turn in your application in time.

As part of the application process, we’ll check to see if you are eligible. To do this, you’ll need to bring:

  • An official tax ID (Social Security number or an employer ID)
  • A property deed or lease agreement to show you have control of the property; and
  • A farm tract number.

If you don’t have a farm tract number, you can get one from USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Typically, the local FSA office is located in the same building as the local NRCS office. You only need a farm tract number if you’re interested in financial assistance.

NRCS will take a look at the applications and rank them according to local resource concerns, the amount of conservation benefits the work will provide and the needs of applicants.

If you’re selected, you can choose whether to sign the contract for the work to be done.

Once you sign the contract, you’ll be provided standards and specifications for completing the practice or practices, and then you will have a specified amount of time to implement. Once the work is implemented and inspected, you’ll be paid the rate of compensation for the work if it meets NRCS standards and specifications.

Programs and Initiatives

This is all about our programs and our initiatives. We do lots of things! This is all about our programs and our initiatives. We do lots of things! This is all about our programs and our initiatives. We do lots of things! This is all about our programs and our initiatives. We do lots of th

Find Your Local Service Center

USDA Service Centers are locations where you can connect with Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, or Rural Development employees for your business needs. Enter your state and county below to find your local service center and agency offices. If this locator does not work in your browser, please visit